Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sewing Basket Before & After

Hello friends! I hope you had a lovely, restful weekend. I sure did. It was a simple weekend filled with lots of fun but not to busy or hurried. I was able to do lots of things I wanted and needed to do. I crafted, went to a yard sale & thrift store with mama, spent time with my sister and niece Taylor while she was getting ready for prom, went for a walk to the old train trestle on the river for prom pictures, visited with my dear friend Heather, crafted some more, detailed my SUV, and watched a movie with the hubby and mom and dad at their house. Have you seen Hachi: A Dog's Tale? The hubby and I have it but mama and daddy had not seen it, so we all watched it together. You should watch it...it is based on a true story. I will warn you though...it is a tear-jerker, but it is such a sweet story. Anywho, I had a really nice weekend and am ready for a new week. I am off Friday...the hubby and I both have some medical appointments. So, I only work 4 days this week...then I have a 4 day weekend since Monday is Memorial Day! Only 13 more school days with the students...I can't believe this school year is almost over! 
I'm sharing one of my crafty projects from the weekend. I have had this sewing basket for a while now and it was in need of a makeover. It was OK...but I knew I could make it better! I had already torn the top apart before I thought to take a before photo, but I laid the fabric back on top to give you an idea.


I started by making some pretty yo-yos to decorate the top.


I chose happy colors! I used buttons, beads, and fabric from my stash, so nothing was bought for this project. I cut this lovely button off an old sweater...love the bling!


I used to have several of these beautiful buttons but have used them up over the years. 
Wish I had some more!


I love the bead in the center of this one too.


I decided to paint the basket to brighten it up a bit. It was definitely bright! Love the color but it was just a little too vibrant for the fabrics I chose for the top.


So...I dry brushed some white on top and I really like how it turned out.


I recovered the top with some pretty floral fabric and added some lace and the yo-yos to it.


I love this lace...so pretty!


I also added a tab to open it where the old one used to be.


And here it is. Isn't it pretty?


I love how it turned out! 


I left the inside in its' original condition. I didn't feel like taping off all the lining fabric to paint the wood.
I did clean it out and organize it though.


I have two sewing boxes, so this one holds needles, bobbins, pins, sewing tools, and black and white thread. Things I use more often. My other sewing box holds colored threads, bias tape, elastic and a few other things.


One last look...a little before and after.


I mentioned above that I went to a yard sale and thrift store. I didn't find much at all but I really like the few things I did find!
These are interesting pieces. Not sure what they are supposed to be used for. They are about 3-4 inches long and have fabric on the bottom. Paperweights maybe? They are pretty as is, but I may paint them...not sure yet. I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I love words so I had to have them. I was thinking maybe a wreath...ideas? Oh...they were $0.55 each.


I bought these old earrings and pin to craft with and have already used a couple pieces. I'll share soon...something I am making for my Etsy store that I will be opening over the summer.


I also got a bag of wooden buttons to craft with. I like them natural or painted. I'm sure I will use them both ways. I love finding bits and pieces to add to my craft stash!


So...what did you do over the weekend? I hope yours was as wonderful as mine. Have a blessed and beautiful week my friends! 

I'm linking up with Kathe for You're Gonna Love It Tuesday and Marty for Inspire Me Tuesday.  

Until next time.....

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am so in love with that sewing basket Vicky, it turned out great! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing basket is so pretty. Love that makeover. Sounds like your school year will be over be over before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, you did an awesome job on that sewing basket, it's so perfect now! I love yo yo's

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that sewing basket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you transformed that little basket! Thirteen days? Wow! I still got until July 6th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicky!!! I literally squealed when I saw the after of the sewing basket. I think I even blurted out loud that I want one :) haha

    It's truly amazing! I love the color and the fabric choice, yo-yo's, and lace are all so perfect, seriously perfect!

    You are very gifted, my friend. Also, how exciting to have only 13 school days left :) The school year seemed to fly by.

    Hugs to you! And P.S...I really LOVE your sewing basket :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talk about adorable....Love the sewing basket make over! So cute!! I have seen that movie and oh it is a tear jerker but SOOOOO goood! Glad you had a great weekend. I spent time with my family and extra special time with Tiger.
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew! Your idea of a restful weekend would absolutely wear me out Vicky. I need to visit Willie Mae Lane and get a dose of whatever energy medicine you have up there!

    Your basket is just lovely! And, once again, you found some amazing treasures.

    Hope you have a great week, I have a four day weekend coming up too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you did to the sewing basket...so much brighter and more cheerful! As always, I am in awe of your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi and wow Vicky, there you go again creating and fixing up a pretty sewing basket! I love the colors and the yo yo's with the pretty buttons! I hope you have a nice week. I'm glad too that school is almost over.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vicky, I LOVE your yo yo's! You go girl! I love everything you do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, it doesn't even look like the same basket. Those yo yo flowers are so darn cute. Love the pretty jewels you found.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sewing basket turned out so pretty. Great job! I also like your jar of wooden buttons. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vicki! Found you via CLH, and I have to say I love your style! The sewing basket is adorable. I love that it's vintage and what you did with the yo yo's (never heard that expression) is so charming! I have a couple of buttons like the ones you used. I believe I purchased them at Brimfield a while back. Not sure if you've ever been there, but I think you would be in heaven! We actually went this past weekend.

    Here's something strange...When I first came to your blog I didn't stay long because I couldn't read the font. It was very small and script. So I clicked out of it but something told me to come back and I immediately clicked back and to my surprise the font was different and readable! How weird is that??

    I'm going to have a look around while I have my morning cuppa Joe ;).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Morning Vicky!

    It sounds like you had a lovely weekend. We worked on my hubby's garage. It's almost finished, Yay! I got my vehicle detailed and we are going to the city to try to get a new car. Say a prayer for me that we can find a good deal on one. :)

    I LOVE that sewing box. And I love that color. It's so cheery. I think I want one too! I love it. You are starting an Etsy shop? Oh... I can't wait to see what you are selling. I love all your creative ideas..

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Have a good Memorial weekend too!

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vicky,
    I have added you and your husband and your friend Heather to my prayer list...I believe in the power of prayer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbi Saunders
    Orlando,Fl.
    greenshutter@AOL.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking time to leave such kind words for me. Your sweet comments make my heart smile!
I always reply to comments by e-mail, so please make sure you are not a no-reply commenter! Blessings!

Recent Posts.....