Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Mobile Home Makeover: Built In Bookshelf Edition

Hello and happy Wednesday! I am so excited to be sharing the project the hubby and I have been working on for the past week or so. I have long been wanting (and needing) a large bookcase to house all my books.
I love to read and I love to collect books. I saw a bookcase similar to the one we built on The Thrifty Decor Chick's blog a while back and knew I had to have one similar to it. So....let me show you mine.

Drum roll please.......


We built this on one of our dining room walls. Originally I have planned to use one end of my dining room sectioned off for a library, but after we removed everything from the room and opened it up, I decided to include the library in the dining room. I googled library dining rooms and found some gorgeous inspiration pictures, so I knew I wasn't the only one to decide to combine these two rooms. 

My unit is a little over 8 feet tall and 9 feet wide. I may someday give a tutorial on how we built it, but for now I will just say that we started with three upper kitchen cabinets to use as the base and built up from there. We installed lighting in the top which is so pretty when turned on. 

I have three 36" sections. The first and third sections have approximately 12" shelves, and the middle section has two 12" sections and two taller...around 19" sections to house bigger things. 


I am truly in love with this piece. I literally had tears in my eyes thanking my hubby for making my dream come true. He worked so hard on this project. He has worked hard on everything we have done so far. He works outdoors in the Florida heat and humidity every day and then comes home and puts in another 4-5 hours each evening in the house. I am so blessed!


Some day I will take some close ups and share the items on the shelves. They are full of memories and a few things just for fun. I love style and design, but I am a sucker for sentimental things and I hope my home reflects my love for both when I am finished. I think so far it does. 


I love the handles I ordered from Overstock. I have ordered many things from them over the past few weeks and am very satisfied with the deals and service I have gotten. These handles are so pretty...they remind me of fancy old silverware. Best thing is they came in a set of 10, so I have four left to do something fun with!


I also love the lighting we chose. All the hardware and curtain rods, door knobs,  lighting, etc, are nickel finish. I got a great deal on these at Lowe's. The folks at Lowe's should know us by first name...lol!


My camera doesn't take the best pictures, but here it is one turned on.


Another feature of my bookcase that I love is the cabinets at the bottom. They are a blessing! I had very little storage before, but now, I have room for all my junk dishes, glasses,  and serving pieces.




I have caught myself just standing and staring at my new bookcase more than once. It just makes me smile knowing the love with which it was built and that it is filled with so many memories. It is perfection to me...from the aqua blue wall, to the white painted shelves, the dark walnut stained shelf on top of the cabinets and the trim on front to frame it out,  the cabinets, the hardware,  & the lighting. Perfection! 
And....I can just see it at Christmas....:)


So, what do you think of my new built in bookcase? 
I hope you are having a lovely week my friends. I'll be back to share more soon. We are getting things done, but I won't do full room reveals until we finish the trim and that is very time consuming. It is all coming together though, so keep checking in!

I'm partying at the following blogs.....

Until next time.....

24 comments:

  1. Oh, oh, oh, Vicky I am quite speechless at what a thing of beauty you and Joey have created. I am sharing this on my FB page, pinning it, and showing everyone. Christmas!?! What about what you can do for Autumn? You have it styled so attractively. Well, I thought I was speechless but obviously I am not. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicky, I love the bookcase. What a great job your husband did building it and you have decorated it so well. A place for your beloved books and treasured, sentimental pieces, too. I look forward to learning more about the individual pieces. You have a very enjoyable blog. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely amazing Vicky! I love it, and how brilliant to start with kitchen cabinet uppers for the bottom. It holds so many books up top, because of course we book lovers want books to be seen, and then the closed storage is fantastic. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! what an impact! I can see why you like it so much...awesome. Is that beadboard as the back? Love the aqua...love it all. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are blessed my friend! Your bookcase is fabulous. Like your hubby, mine works in the heat all day also and comes home and does projects, lawn work, maintenance, etc. We are lucky women! Love all your displays. Very creative makeovers! Almost forgot, Using the library was brilliant. All our dining rooms are under utilized, so you solved that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shelves are amazing, my friend! I love how you painted the inside a pretty turquoise color and everything on your shelves is perfect!

    Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicky that looks amazing! Love it and what a great job you and your husband did on this. Love the colors and finishes you choose. The hardware is perfect for a library/dining room!! I can tell how happy you are. Can't wait to see more photos of everything in place.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second (or third, or fourth) what everyone else has said Vicky, this looks so beautiful! Can't wait to see the rest of the room reveal!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bookshelf is awesome! I love it! I've been a bit stale on any makeovers lately but you know when you've gotten it right and you are satisfied when you just gaze at your finished work...satisfaction! Many wishes of blessings as we head into August!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an amazing work of art! I love the color and your creative use of kitchen cabinets on the bottom. You make a great team!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I would spend my entre day admiring this bookcase if it was in my cottage! I love the colour combination. The renovation you're doing is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your hubby should be incredibly proud! Amazing piece of furniture and looks perfect with your collections so dearly placed there. Take care my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not only is your hubby a sweetie, but apparently a very talented one at that! The bookcase is not only lovely, but oh so very practical!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Vicky.. love it! Such a beautiful piece and all that storage. Plus the fact that you and your husband built it - that is awesome! Have a great week.
    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Your bookcase is gorgeous! I love everything about it ... you guys make an awesome team! I also love the way you've displayed things on the shelves...it looks very artsy! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful! I enjoy styling book shelves and in fact just tweaked the ones in our living room. How nice that you have dish storage below. Double goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You lucky gal to have all that wonderful shelving! I'm in need of a lot more shelves for books. You styled your's beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's beautiful Vicky !!! I LOVE books in a dining room - there's something so
    " old world " about it - and I've been considering doing it myself ! Your's is just perfect !
    You're really coming along with all your reno's !!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Vicky! That is just perfect. It looks really great and I can't wait to see how you decorate it for each season.
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Vicky, it is so very nice!! Classy and will bring you great delight! And the use it will get storing your treasures! Enjoy the rest of your summer!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH my goodness, they look so good!! Your hubby did a great job. Thanks for sharing this with me Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Vicky!!! This is so beautiful. You and your sweet hubby are making great progress. I'm just now getting caught up on my blogging so you'll see more comments from me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it! It's beautiful, love the color too. You have it styled so nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Vicky, wow how pretty and I love the blue accent on the back wall so the book shelf. You and your husband did a great job and it looks so nice. Have a wonderful Sunday.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking time to leave such kind words for me. Your sweet comments make my heart smile!
I always reply to comments by e-mail, so please make sure you are not a no-reply commenter! Blessings!

Recent Posts.....